Tuesday, January 21, 2014

But they ARE my friends...


The following is a real conversation that last saturday:


Me- "I just finished my book...Guess it's time to start the next one!"

My mom- "oh good! Then we could take some of the books you already read up to Half Priced Books to sell and you cou-"

me- (interrupting her mid sentence) "WHAT?"

Mom- "uhhh... you know... the place where you can sell your books?"

me- "No! I know what you mean, it's just...I could never sell my books! I know this sounds weird but my books are all my friends in a way. You see, for a short period of time, they can transport me into a different world, a different life perhaps. I laugh with them, I cry with them. When I was lonely, they were there for me. And when I see all of the books I've read neatly stacked on my bookshelf, I feel a connection with each and every one of them. When I see them I can relive those memories. The times where I stayed up till 3 am turning the pages relentlessly, eager to find out what happens next. The times when salty tears burned my cheeks after a character dies and I feel the loss deep within me. The times when I can't contain my laughter over something I just read and everyone in the room looks at me like I'm crazy. The moments where for a brief instant in time, I was someone else. Each one taking a piece of my soul once I turn that last page.  I could never ever let that go."

Mom- (She looks at me like I have a foot growing off my forehead and followed by an uncomfortable silence.) "Amber. You need help... and maybe friends that can actually hold a conversation with you."


So, here's my question to you:

What are books to you? Are they just simply something to pass your time, nothing more than an inanimate object?
 Or are they something that is only used when you have to, if ever at all?
Or are you like me and they become your best friends?










Do you feel a connection with the books that you've read?

4 comments:

  1. I must say that I laughed heartily while/after reading this!!!! Love the conversation between you and your Mom!!! Too funny!!! I, too, feel connected with my books. I only keep the ones I know I will read over and over again. The others, I hug them and send them off for someone else to connect with and enjoy! P.S. your labels crack me up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point! I didn't even think about that!

      Delete
  2. I totally become wrapped up in my books, to the point where I'm sad when a series ends. That being said, I usually give away my books after I'm done with them, since it's not likely that I will read them again (I do keep a few of the very best ones). I would never have room to keep every book I read!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile and Smiling's My Favorite!